Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 5 & 6

Man has it been hot in Barcelona... Since we've gotten back from the Costa Brava the heat has been almost unbearable... so Paul and I have been going to the pool everyday. The hour ride there is nice and relaxing in the AC... then the pool is refreshing... and the hour back home is a great way to waste time before bed. The ride home can either be calm (when he's tired), whiny (when he's really tired), or really giggly...

So Monday was pretty boring. I spent the evening planning out all the places I wanted to go to before leaving in 2 weeks....
Tuesday I met up with Toni around 12:30 after he got out of his English class where he's one of 2 guys with a gay teacher who prefers men with beards... and he helped me navigate to Carrer Montcada and to the Pre-Columbus Museum I've been wanting to go to. It was right across the street (well... the very small street) from the Picasso Museum which had a huuuge line... while this one we were basically the only people in there. It was small and simple but had nice pieces from all around North and South
America.. and since I love Native American history I really enjoyed this museum. Then Toni ditched me for the gym and I wandered around alone exploring more of the old city. I enjoyed a nice lemon mousse snack, saw parts of the old Roman walls that barricaded the city, and enjoyed some music...

Something really nice about Barcelona that I love is all of the live music around town... People are trying to make their living by being street entertainers but it isn't poor quality music...

And there's a lot of diversity...


I picked up Paul... well it was actually really confusing but I finally found him... and we headed to the pool. I laughed to myself when his shoe fell off on the bus and when he reached down to get it he put his hands right in the elderly lady's crotch who was sitting across from him...
He was pretty relaxed... I almost had to convince him to get in his bathing suit.
But he was actually really good and there were a lot of kids in the water and for once, no swim classes. So I got to read peacefully without having to get up and tell him to move out of the way of the little swimmers or give them their toys back.

When Paul swims... he drinks pool water. He doesn't drink ocean water since it's salty... but he chugs the chlorine down. So of course when he's done swimming he has to pee a million times... We have a schedule that works perfectly.
When he gets out, he gets changed and then pees in the bathroom near the changing area. We walk towards the exit of the CNB and he pees at the bathroom there. When we get outside he has to examine all the motorbikes... Then we walk past the bus stop to a patch of grass... well what used to be grass... hmm now that I think about it - there used to be a lot more grass when he first started peeing there.... Anyway. I make him "Water the flowers" and if I see the bus coming we run for it... but if the bus is taking a long time I make him water the flowers again.
We get on the bus... and he lasts about 15 minutes before he has to go... and we always get off at the same stop where there's a big tree for him to utilize.. and a red light so the bus is always waiting and we get to hop right back on when he's done. By then the bus is so full that we don't have seats anymore but at least I don't have to use the bottle for him to pee in. Then he holds it until we get off at our stop about 35 minutes later and he always hits the first tree he sees. We've been doing this for probably the last 1ox we've gone to the pool... it's PERFECT!

We had a nice dinner and he stayed up pretty late (1030) and I had to hurry to get ready for the night. I asked Toni to take me to Bar Marsella... it opened in 1820 and has had people like Picasso, Gaudi, and Hemingway frequent it in their day. It's popular for serving ABSENTA... Absinthe. I'm not sure it's the REAL absinthe though.. but it was fun to drink... no hallucinating for us though. It tasted JUST like the Absinte I had in America... the less potent LEGAL version... I really wanted ABSINTHE... Hmm.. Maybe i have to go to Amsterdam to hallucinate. =D We did meet 4 Americans from Cali who were quite intoxicated and loved us and want to watch the game with us tomorrow... they were quite old... but nice.
We hung out there for a while... it was very very old... the first thing Toni said was that it SMELLED old... the ceiling paint was cracking and the dust that had accumulated on the bottles around the walls was so thick you could have made a coat out of it all. But it was nice... there was no music (and a sign that said no singing)... it was a REAL bar with mean gay bartenders... they could improve on that probably. O.. and there wasn't a real door. We went around pushing glass windows until we figured out which one was the door. Bizarre.

And since we didn't see the "Green Fairy" we went to the Fairy Forest bar by La Rambla... saw some fairys there.... and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment